Introducing Michelle-interview

Hey all! Andrea from the Bio's crew here:

Just wanted to share my interview of Michelle, an awesome new member to our group and this shows Dance captain!


This is Michelle…

What is your role in “In the Heights?”
I am a member of the ensemble and the dance captain.

Can you tell me about your role as the dance captain?
Basically, I observe when people have troubles with the movement and I help them when they have struggles. I am looking forward to holding individual rehearsals. Also, I have to memorize everyone’s choreography and when Nicole (Choreographer) isn’t present, I might have to come up with something on the spot.

Is this your first time doing a Berkshire Theater production?
Yep, my first time and it is pretty exciting.

What inspired you to join, especially this season being the musical?
In musicals, there are both dancing and singing, which I love. I have a lot of friends who do theater and encouraged me to try out. It is a good opportunity for me to get outside of my comfort zone because I have been doing dance forever.

What has it been like transitioning from dance to theater? Similarities/Differences?
It feels really different because theater, especially the musical, there are many people. I feel like I get to know more people. In addition, the warm-up from theater is very different from dance. I think the warm-up is really interesting and it gets me into the mindset for rehearsal; I feel prepared and ready to go--it’s fun. I am also learning new terminology some we made up like “blockeography” (a term we use for a rehearsal involving blocking and choreography) and more traditional terms such as “blocking” and how to write it on my script. (Including abbreviations for notating blocking for directions like upstage, downstage, ect.)

What has been a challenge in the process so far?
Combining singing and acting at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment