Playing John Proctor

I am Gerry Gimenez and I play John Proctor in The Crucible. This experience has brought me a new appreciation for the performing arts and what being an actor means, to a completley new level. I have experienced a wide range of emotions through living, and working with this very talented cast. I'm coming to understand the simplest meaning behind what theater is, and what it can do for people who love and have a passion for it. Berkshire Theater is open for any type of person, just as long as you want to build something truly memorable. My passion for working with dark material has made me extremely curious to discover the depth and intensity of this play.

In Act 3, my character John Proctor experiences a wild mixture of emotional stages. It has been a adventure for me to understand and manage these different layers of emotion. A very specific challenge that I have while playing Proctor is his contrasting body language to my own. One of the character exercises we did in rehersal helped me to find a center of gravity in my body. I began to see how to control and administer my own physicality through that center. This was an enlightening experience that helped me channel my energy into John Proctor’s body. All of these concepts and ideas from The Crucible generate a creative outlet that is highly applicable to every aspect of life.

Reflecting now as a senior, with three weeks left at Berkshire, I am coming to understand and appreciate the significance of learning from this present experience and applying it to my future. It's clear, that what I am learning from Berkshire Theater, will never be forgotten.

- Gerry Gimenez




No comments:

Post a Comment